The Cultural Competence Program (CCP) is a range of online multi-media training courses and resources designed to help organisations maximise the benefits of cultural competence, diversity and inclusion. The CCP was developed by SBS, Multicultural NSW, and International Education Services – leading organisations in addressing the needs of multicultural Australia. It was developed to:
• Help organisations manage an increasingly diverse workforce
• Better service diverse communities within Australia by providing relevant training and information to service-based organisations
• Create competitive advantage for organisations operating in increasingly diverse marketplaces both locally and globally
• Promote social cohesion through fostering a better understanding of diverse cultures
MODULE 7: CULTURAL ADAPTATION:
Upon completion of the module Cultural Adaptation, you will be able to:
• Define the different stages of cultural adaptation
• Illustrate how culture shock can be expressed in various ways
• Describe the concept of ‘reverse culture shock’
• Understand how the different stages of cultural adaptation may impact a person at work
• Identify measures that facilitate a smooth transition through the stages of cultural adaptation
Note on video interviews:
All participants in the interviews tell real stories around their own experiences. Part of their story is which culture they identify with, and we asked each participant how they wanted to be represented. Some chose to be represented as just Australian, some chose to be a combination of Australian and some other cultures, and yet others chose their culture of origin. We respected their choices.
ATOM STUDY GUIDE:
ATOM has produced a study guide for ‘Cultural Competence Program – Module 7: Cultural Adaptation’, which is available to download for free.
A full program is also available.